Sunday, July 24, 2011

Weekend Wrap Up


(This is not at my house, but I do wish it was!)

Friday Night

Girls night in for me…cooked up a yummy dinner, caught up on my blog reading, and did some school work.

Saturday

Thanks to his late night, Mr. P slept in a little bit, but I got up and worked on more school work. My dining room table is now Back to School Central and it looks like this:



However, I have a system where I can clear everything off in an organized manner in 5 minutes or less when we need to eat dinner at the table.

I also found my planner for the school year. I’m very picky about this and it usually takes me forever to find one that I like. I actually found the one I liked best at Office Depot. The cover is very plain, but I will be adding a monogram decal to it ASAP.

Like I said, I have specific needs in a planner. It must have monthly, as well as weekly calendars. I also need plenty of room to write down daily appointments and events, but I don't like the hour by hour daily planners. Here's a sneak peak at it-

Monthly Calendar


Weekly Calendar




It is also already tabbed (saves me some trouble) and has a lot of little extras that I like. I also like the brown and green stripes at the top of each page.

We went to a benefit cornhole tournament (it was very hot!) on Saturday afternoon, and followed it by having dinner with friends at Kansai, the local Japanese steakhouse. I have some yummy leftovers for lunch on Monday now!

Sunday

Mr. P had to work (a very rare occurrence on a Sunday) and I decided to have a lazy Sunday morning. He left around 6:30, so I stayed up after he left, and settled in with my coffee and my Nook.

Mid-morning, I decided to do something useful, so I made some yummy Strawberry Pecan Bread






It was the first time I had tried this recipe and it tasted good, but as you can see from the picture the middle of the bread fell. No idea why…I’m sure it’s not the recipe, I probably did something wrong! The recipe called for self-rising flour and all I had was all-purpose, so I probably messed up the conversions/amounts when I added the baking powder and salt. I was multiplying fractions in my head when I probably should have been using a pencil and paper or better yet a calculator. Oh well, it still tasted great! I also made some chicken salad (recipe to follow) to have on hand for lunches this week.


After my kitchen time, I filled in my new planner with all of the upcoming events this school year…yes, I am a geek because I absolutely love doing this! After that, I took a quick run to the grocery store.

It’s been a while since I posted a Sunday Supper recipe, but we had spaghetti for dinner, which is pretty basic fare. So I will give you my chicken salad recipe, which is the one that Mama uses. She got it from a little restaurant in Nashville called The Picnic Café. It is run by two of Mama’s high school classmates and they are so sweet when you come in for a visit. You can order their cookbook and I highly recommend it. This is where Mama got the chicken salad recipe along with a whole bunch of other good Southern stuff!

Picnic Chicken Salad

3 cups white chicken breast, chopped
¾ cup celery, chopped
3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
½ teaspoon celery seed
1/3 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste
1 cup Hellman’s mayonnaise (The recipe says do not substitute but if you prefer Duke’s or Kraft, go right ahead-to each her own!)

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Chill. Serve as a sandwich spread or as a salad on lettuce or stuffed into a tomato.

It has been thundering, lightning and raining for about two hours now and the sound is wonderful. We’ve had about two weeks of hot, muggy weather with no rain-unless you count a random little shower that only serves to make it feel worse outside. The temperature has already dropped about 15 degrees. Let’s hope that it stays that way for a while!

How was your weekend?

No comments: