Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Suppers Edition Seven: Sweet Treats Edition

(Please excuse the different fonts in this post. I've tried about 5 or 6 times to fix it and it just stays the same.)

So the idea of cooking a special Valentine’s dinner tonight has been totally scrapped due to the fact that I am making treats for my staff for tomorrow. It’s
that time of year when school staff get a little stressed, so I thought I would make some sweet treats to give out for Valentine’s Day to let them know how much I appreciate them. I saw an idea for a candy mix over at Mrs. Preppy’s blog. She made it for Halloween with black and orange M & Ms, so I thought I would try it with red and pink ones. They turned out great, but let me give you a warning that this candy mix so addictive! Click on here to see Mrs. Preppy’s directions for making it. Here are the pictures from my process:

I also thought I would make some M and M cookies to go in the bags too.

I basically used my Tollhouse cookie recipe and substituted M & M's for the chocolate chips. Here is the recipe:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) butter, softened

3/4 cup granulated [white] sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups plain M & M's (1 bag)

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in M & M's. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

And here are my cute bags all loaded up in my market tote. Can’t wait to pass them out tomorrow!

(That's actually the back of my market tote-the front has my last name embroidered on it so I didn't want to show it.)

As for Mr. P and me, we are going to meet for dinner tomorrow night after work. Usually we don’t go out, but we’re going to try to meet early since the restaurants get so crowded around here. We had such a busy weekend; I’m looking forward to having a quiet dinner with him.

I've posted more sweet recipes than supper recipes lately. I'll try to get back on track next week!

Wishing all my bloggy friends a very Happy Valentine's Day!


1 comment:

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

OMG...that candy mix looks delish! TGIF xx