Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Suppers Edition Eight


(Image courtesy of buttercreambarbie.com)


Well this weekend has just flown by! I can't believe that it is already Sunday evening. Friday night, we met some friends for dinner at a local restaurant. The restaurant has just recently opened, and it is already a favorite of ours. Just your basic southern/country cooking, but it is so good! They serve some of the best biscuits I have ever had, and each table gets a basket of them as soon as they are seated. After a long day at school, it was wonderful to sit down to a glass of tea and those yummy biscuits!

On Saturday, I straightened the house, caught up on laundry, and made a big pot of taco soup. We had our annual soup and chili supper at church, and the taco soup was our contribution to the supper. Today, I went to Bowling Green to meet my sister in law and niece for brunch and shopping. We had brunch here, and then shopped for a few hours before heading home. Stay tuned later this week to hear more about the shopping. Now Mr. P and I are eating soup for dinner and watching the season premier of one of our favorite shows, The Amazing Race.

I found a great slow cooker recipe for Santa Fe Chicken on Preppy Sue's blog this weekend, so I will be making that one day this week. She also featured a recipe for pretzel M & M cookies that sounds really yummy!

My featured recipe this week is Cheese Pennies, which are great with soup, and many other things. They are very similar to a cheese straw, but are more like a cracker. I received this recipe from my aunt many years ago, and I absolutely love them. You can also make the dough and freeze it for future use.

Cheese Pennies

1 lb. sharp grated cheddar cheese
1 cup butter
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper (cayenne)
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Leave cheese and butter out for several hours or overnight to soften. Mix all ingredients (works best if you mix it with your hands). Dough should be like play dough. Roll into long rolls that are the diameter of a quarter. Wrap in foil and chill for several hours or overnight. Slice and bake at 325 for around 17 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown. Be careful-they will burn easily! Sprinkle with salt right out of the oven.

I discovered some great food blogs this weekend, so hopefully I'll have some new recipes to post about soon! I think I may add foodie blogroll on the side.

Here's a little preview of my shopping finds today:

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Tammy B said...

I love cheese pennies. I'm here in Biloxi. I haven't been to Beauvoir, but plan to go there tomorrow. It is sad to see what Katrina has done to this place.

-Emily- said...

I haven't been to Mariahs but I'm gonna make hubby take me there soon!

Suzanne said...

Ooh, the cheese pennies sound good! I hope you enjoy the chicken santa fe!