Saturday, July 26, 2008

5 Things I'm Into Right Now


1. Creating Classrooms Where Teachers Love to Teach

Seriously, this is one of the best professional books that I have read. The author, Bob Sornsen, uses more of a storytelling format to present the philosophy of Love and Logic to the teaching profession. Although it is geared towards teachers, I have gained some valuable perspective and tips towards dealing with students and parents as an adiminstrator. If you are a teacher, or if you know a teacher, I highly recommend this book. This author has also written a similar book about love and logic for parenting.


2. The Abs Diet for Women and Eat This, Not That

I need to lose some weight. Period. I said it out loud (well, wrote it actually, but you know what I mean). I need to face the facts and own up to what I need to do. I won't say that this plan is super easy, because dieting and losing weight is never that easy. However, this particular plan is not hard to follow, not too restrictive, and it just makes sense. Eat This, Not That, written by the same author/creator of The Abs Diet, is a great reference for making healthy choices at restaurants and the grocery store.





3. Grilling, specifically grilling kabobs

Poor Mr. P. In light of my efforts with #2, I have decided that we are grilling every night. No matter that he is working 12+ hour days right now, when he gets home, he has the task of cooking our dinner. I love to cook, but grilling is not my thing-probably because of my fear of fire and all that. And kabobs are the best-you have your meat and veggies marinated, add a little brown rice, a green vegetable and voila-a healthy, balanced, delicious dinner.

In my defense, the meat and vegetables are always marinated and the grill is already heating, so all he has to do is the actual grilling. And we usually grill enough for 2 meals, so he doesn't have to grill every night. Just every other night. Hee.



4. Bonnano Sandals

Okay, I seriously want a pair of the Emma Monogrammed sandals in black with white stitching. I have currently put myself on a shopping freeze due to the large amount of shopping that I have done this summer. I have had so many events this summer-niece's graduation, my class reunion, my in-law's 40th anniversary, and I have bought a new outfit for each one of them, in addition to buying new summer things also. I inventoried my closet the other day and realized that if I lost some weight (once again, see #2) it would be like I had a whole new wardrobe. So I have put myself on a shopping freeze. That being said, I still want a pair of these sandals. I think that I am borderline obsessing over them. Case in point-I'm sitting in church last Sunday, in a really cute black and white outfit, and in the middle of the sermon, I start thinking about how cute a pair of monogrammed Emma sandals would look with my outfit.






5. School Supplies

It's hard to believe, but school starts in less than two weeks. Where did my summer go?? The teachers are working in their classrooms, putting new things up and getting things ready for the kids. Even though I'm not in the classroom anymore, I still have the urge to buy new things for the new school year. I need to start my year off with perfectly sharpened yellow pencils with a red cap eraser on the top. I need new stuff to put in and on my desk. Staples, Office Max, and Office Depot are calling my name. My friend LB bought some adorable Vera Bradley office supplies (pencils, note pad, and clipboard) for her classroom, and I've decided that I may just need some too.

1 comment:

Buford Betty said...

Too funny - I was just reading an article on MSN from the writers of that diet book this morning. I agree - that's the best way to go... just learning to make smarter choices, not necessarily restricting things. I honestly believe the absolute best thing you can do - although it's tedious - is to track everything you put in your mouth. It's so eye-opening. I've been doing it since November of last year and it has changed my life. There are lots of online calorie counters, but I use the one on www.sparkpeople.com and love it. Best of luck! And best wishes for the new school year!!