Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Suppers Edition Five


I considered not posting an edition of Sunday Suppers this week because I did not cook at all this weekend! We had such a busy weekend, but it was fun! We had a basketball tournament all day yesterday, and we stopped and ate at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants on the way home. Today we went up to Louisville to the boat show with two other couples. So many beautiful boats and campers there! We have a boat and a travel trailer already, so we were just window shopping. We stopped at Outback Steaks after leaving the expo center, so no Sunday dinner at home either.

I want to keep up with my recipe postings on Sundays, so here is another favorite family recipe. This is my grandmother’s banana nut bread recipe. Really easy and a great way to use up those last few bananas that have become overripe.

Granny's Banana Nut Bread

2 eggs

3 medium ripe bananas

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup vegetable oil

½ cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)

1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

¼ tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. salt

In a medium bowl, beat eggs until well blended. Mash bananas into bowl with eggs. Add sugar, oil, and nuts to banana mixture. Beat until well blended. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into banana mixture. Mix until well blended. Pour into a large loaf pan or two small loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Cool before cutting.

I'm a little stressed about not having a go-to meal this week. I have some taco soup in the freezer, along with some baked spaghetti so we should be okay. Not to mention we also have sandwich fixings and plenty of things in the pantry. Dinner may not be as good as usual, but we'll manage.

I promise that my Sunday Suppers will get more interesting soon! Our school cookbooks have arrived and I am so excited to try out all of the good recipes in it. I've seen lots of great ones in there, so stay tuned!

Have a great week!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Yay for not cooking for one weekend! That banana nut bread looks delcious; I will have to try it out soon. Baking is something I can handle!

Posh Peach said...

Sounds delicious! I must try it :)