Sunday, October 12, 2008

In Defiance of Mother Nature

Is fall ever going to arrive? We've had a couple of cool days here and there, but overall our fall has been h-o-t and I couldn't be more unhappy about it! The highs have been in the 80's here this weekend...how can I wear my cute fall clothes in this heat? So, hot weather or not, I was determined to wear a "fall" outfit to church. Part of the problem is that I received some very cute fall clothes for my birthday and I am dying to wear them. So I inventoried the closet and tried to come up with a reasonable outfit, while still wearing at least one piece of my new clothes. Here is what I came up with:


This is not the best photo, but it's the best I could do. The RL shawl-necked sweater vest was a birthday gift. I found a gray, brown, and green plaid skirt that looked great with the vest and paired it with a cream-colored shirt.

I also put up a few autumn decorations around the house yesterday. Now I love decorating the house at Christmas, but I usually don't do much for fall. However, all of you crafty bloggers have inspired me to put forth a little more effort.
My dining room table:




The bowl is the bride's bowl that has been in my dad's family for years. I inherited it from my grandmother after she passed away a few years ago, and it was kept in storage until Mr. P and I moved into our new house. It sits on the dining room table and I usually try to work it into my holiday decorations because I can't bear to put it up. I put grass and painted eggs in it at Easter, and last year I put red and green ball ornaments in it at Christmas. I found some bags of gourds and I thought they would look pretty in it. I may move the candlesticks to the mantle and put some other candlesticks out.

Here are a few more pictures:

I love the little Harvest Girl, as I call her. A friend gave her to me for my birthday a few years ago and I think she's adorable.

We're off to a birthday party for our friends' twin two-year olds. It should be a good time!

4 comments:

Hopsy said...

Your fall decorations are lovely. I am glad you figured out an outfit that puts a new item to use, hooray for that!

Sandra said...

Cute, cute, cute outfit!! And - way to go on the decorations!!

Surf Girl said...

That bowl is gorgeous! And what a cute outfit. I have to admit, I don't usually decorate for fall either, but after reading everyone's blogs I feel like such a slacker! I think I'm just don't like that summer's over. :)

ilovepink said...

A beautiful table...and so sentimental. I love it!